3-5, Middle school, High school
Science, Visual Arts
All workshops include:
- step-by-step demonstration of one project to do at home
- printable instructions online (don’t forget my books!)
- links to educational sites with information for further exploration
How to Teach At-Home STEAM Workshops with Maker/Author Kathy Ceceri – Empire State Maker Faire
STEAM enrichment — crafts-based engineering, electronics and coding books and projects from award-winning author and educator Kathy Ceceri!
Students learn design thinking, practice problem-solving and troubleshooting, and exercise their creativity with hands-on engineering and electronics challenges using everyday stuff! Program options include:
60- or 90-minute hands-on workshops for home or classroom!
- BOTS! — Learn about the systems that make up a robot with projects like a Walking Paper Dog, Paper Fin Gripper, Pencil Pressure Sensor, or Motorized ArtBot! (Grades 2-7)
- Paper Inventions — Create amazing math models like the Mobius strip, the hexaflexagon, and the dragon curve fractal using just paper, scissors, tape, and markers! (Grades 6 and up)
- Musical Inventions — Learn the physics behind sound and music by making your own instruments from drinking straws, string and paper cups, and other common materials! (grades 2-8)
- Fabric and Fiber Inventions — Learn how fabrics are made, then upcycle an old t-shirt into a handy tote bag (grades 2-5) or drawstring backpack (grades 6 and up). No sewing needed!
90-minute workshops that teach electric circuits and/or coding!
- Light-Up Wearables and Decor — Sew a fun mask or headband with lights, or make an Infinity Box (with a secret compartment). Programmable option available!
- Design Your Own Buzzing Operation Game — Choose a theme, design the board, and build the electric circuit that makes it work! Requires a recycled box and inexpensive electronics (kit available).
Robotics Courses for Kids and Teens
Five-session courses that cover the basics of robotics with hands-on projects.
- Build BOTS — Explore the systems that make robots work and build a working robotic prototype in each session!
- MakeCode Cardboard Robots — Learn a new mechanical and programming concept in each session, then use it to design and build your own programmable robot! (Requires a BBC Micro:bit or Adafruit Circuit Playground Express; kits available.)
Learn how to teach hands-on STEAM projects at home!